Implementing content management systems (CMS) is becoming increasingly complex due to the multitude of channels that are served. It is advisable to get your own IT on board and heavily involved, but above all to rely on the expertise of specialized implementation partners. We have compared 32 service providers for you in our new market overview. As always, a summary of the comparison is available for download.
By clicking on the download button you agree that your company e-mail address and your company name may be transmitted to marketingandtech.com (Digital Diamant GmbH) for advertising purposes, also by e-mail, and for market and opinion research. With your consent you will also automatically receive the marketingandtech.com newsletter. The declaration can be revoked at any time via a link in every e-mail.
Implementing a new CMS can be complex
The amount of content that companies produce and publish has increased dramatically in recent years. The reasons lie primarily in the triumph of social media and mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets, and the associated growth in media consumption.
Content is being produced with greater frequency. At the same time, the number of channels through which this content is played out has also risen sharply. Those who manage each channel individually quickly lose track of what’s going on and incur high time and organizational costs. Most companies therefore now rely on comprehensive content management solutions as a central place to manage content and from there orchestrate it to the various channels. This makes many things easier and more performant. The downside of this is that content management systems with all their functionality (-> see our Content Management Systems market overview) can become very complex. If you want to get the most out of the possibilities, you should therefore not shy away from an initial implementation effort.
Since the implementation of a new CMS does not take place very often, it is advisable to get your own IT on board and heavily involved, but above all to rely on the expertise of specialized implementation partners. These have the experience of many projects and know the individual CMS solutions from the “FF”. But at the beginning there is first the question whether it should be an open source CMS or an enterprise solution.
32 CMS implementation service providers at a glance
In the current market overview, a total of 32 implementation service providers for content management systems are examined and compared with each other in terms of their scope of services. The analysis is based on more than 100 criteria, which we have assigned to 11 different categories. The individual categories present the various service providers in detail, examine the different services they offer, and describe other relevant criteria. This comparison provides you with a very nuanced comparison to help you find your orientation.
Over 100 criteria in 11 categories
When designing the market overview, we drew up a catalog of questions that, in our view, presents the most important criteria for decision-makers when selecting a service provider. The result is over 100 criteria, which we have divided into 11 different categories.
- General information about the providers: Where are they based? How long has the company or product been on the market? How many customers are already using the product?
- The Pitch: When they ask companies what they are very good at, what their strengths are and what they specialize in, the list of answers is usually very long. We therefore asked CMS implementers to formulate their pitch for us to the point in just a few words. What makes your company and its services so special?
- References: As individual as the task may be, you should always look at the implementation partner’s reference projects. What has he already implemented? What was the task and how did they reach their goal? We asked the companies for their references.
- Industry specialization of implementers: we have compiled for you which service provider has already been successful in which industry.
- Core services: The key question when selecting an implementation partner is the range of services. Who can best help me as a company with the tasks at hand? Larger projects such as implementing a content management system usually require a wide range of different disciplines that a suitable partner must cover. We have gathered for you which core services the companies offer.
- Experience with different CMS solutions: As a selection criterion for a suitable partner, experience with different systems is very important. We have asked the implementers what experience they have in dealing with both open source and enterprise CMS. In doing so, you can also see where the companies see their focus.
- Certified specialists: Many software vendors offer training and partner programs for implementation service providers. These then lead to certification, which you can use to identify specialists. There are different levels of certification depending on the software vendor. In our overview, you can see which implementer has specialized knowledge in which software and has received a certificate for this.
- DSGVO and legal criteria: The Data Protection Regulation has left its mark. At the latest since the DSGVO came into force, server location and data processing are particularly delicate and very sensitive selection criteria. Do DSGVO-compliant processes exist? What about security in general and cyber attacks in particular? Especially in critical legal situations, the competent jurisdiction (Germany or abroad) can contribute significantly to the decision-making process.
- Additional services of the service providers: Your project starts with the decision for an implementation partner. For the cooperation, it is important to question which service levels the companies offer. These are presented in this section.
- Price approach: Performance offering, service level and software setup – these are all very important selection criteria. However, budget planning also takes an important part in the decision-making process. Which implementation partner fits both your ambitions and requirements as well as the financial framework you are willing to invest? Our compilation will give you an overview.
Who are the service providers at a glance?
We have compared a wide range of service providers. From small to large, from regional to international. There are also major differences in the pricing approach and industry specializations. The focus on certain CMS providers (as evidenced by certifications) also varies greatly. As a result, there should be a suitable partner for every task and budget. We have included the following service providers in our market overview:
- USP (own statement): “The creative excellence of a digital agency, the strategic all-round view of IT consulting, and the concentrated power of an IT systems house. All services for digital projects under one roof.”
- Certifications: CoreMedia Platinum Implementation Partner, Sitecore Gold Implementation Partner, OpenText Silver Partner.
- Memberships: Bitkom
- USP (own statement): “From UX & UI to website, portals, online stores, digital strategy, SEA & SEO, analytics, digitization of sales and into internal company processes, 711media covers the complete range of requirements for a digital world.”
- Certifications: Typo3 certified Editor, Typo3 certfied Integrator, Typo3 certified Developer, Typo3 certified Consultant, Contao Premium, IPMA Level D, Professional Scrum Master, Google Analytics Certified Professional, Zend Certified Engineers, Magento Certified Developers, Piwik Pro, Sistrix certified agency partner: Web Design, Programming
- Memberships: Typo3 Silver Member, Contao Premium Partner, Google AdWords Certified Partner
Ancud IT Consulting
- USP (own statement): “Ancud IT-Beratung GmbH distinguishes itself through consulting, development and continued monitoring and support of customer projects. We offer well-coordinated teams with a broad know-how in development technologies and many years of experience. We set ourselves apart from other service providers with a diverse, interlocking portfolio of services.”
- Certifications: Atlassian Gold Partner, Liferay Gold Partner, NEO4J.
- Memberships: Embedded4you, cluster mechattronic, Automation Valley, NIK, MIOTY Alliance.
- USP (own statement): “Creative competence combined with technological expertise in complex multilingual channels for international markets. Expertise in B2B and B2C customer outreach but primary B2B sales.”
- USP (own statement): “From strategic consulting, UI/UX design, front- & backend implementation, to ongoing evolution, we offer all disciplines from a single source. Thanks to our extensive digitization expertise, we can draw on many best-practice solutions, some of which have won awards. We stand for digital excellence.
- Certifications: Sitecore, Episerver (current version in each case).
- USP (own statement): “Digital marketing with vision: Scope of services that will fit tomorrow | Guaranteed proactive consulting | Project success rate 100%”
- Certifications: TYPO3 (TCCD, TCCI, TCCE and TCCC); TYPO3 Agency Business Partner & GOLD Member, Google, Mautic.
- Memberships: Marketing-Club Hannover, kreIHItiv Network Hannover
- USP (own statement): “Cutting-edge technologies and our method of understanding our clients’ goals and working closely with them.”
- Certifications: Contentful, Storyblok
The Office on the Wire
- USP (own statement): “We are familiar with all conceivable content management requirements and evaluate the appropriate architectures and solutions together with you after analysis and process requirements. No matter whether it will be a fully licensed ECMS, an open source solution or a headless approach in CaaS modeling. The solution must meet your needs and scale well in the future.”
- Certifications: Adobe Bronce Partner (AEM), (we are an Adobe development partner), Coremedia, Scrivito, Bloomreach, TISAX, CSN, CSPO, AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate, ISTQB Certified Tester, ITIL Foundation Examination.
- USP (own statement): “Owner-managed design/UX driven full-service digital agency”.
- Certifications: contentful (Silver), Typo3 (Gold), ez (Gold), CoreMedia (Silver), Google, BVDW Agency /SEO, + very many more.
- Memberships: BVDW
- USP (own statement): “PIM selection and PIM consulting in combination with inbound marketing, content marketing and online marketing”.
- Certifications: Google; go-digital; BAFA
diva-e Digital Value Excellence
- USP (own statement): “diva-e offers all services for the digitization of companies from a single source, from consulting to conception, user experience design to implementation and operation in its own data centers or private cloud environment.”
- Certifications: Adobe Gold Solution Partner, Bloomreach Platinum Certified Partner, e-Spirit Premier Partner, RYTE Expert, SEO Quality Certificate BVDW, SEA Quality Certificate BVDW.
- Memberships: BVDW
edicos consulting & software
- USP (own statement): “Focus has been on portals and CMS solutions for almost 20 years with partnerships to all leading CMS providers. In this context we offer End2End all services: Consulting, Design/Conception, Development, Operation and Support.”
- Certifications: AEM, Liferay, First Spirit, Magnolia, Drupal, SCRUM, Prince2, Microsoft Silver Partner.
- Memberships: Lower Saxony Digital, Industry Club
- USP (own statement): “InterAKTIVnet GmbH specializes in store systems and e-commerce solutions as well as the creation of sophisticated websites with the content management system Contao. The interAKTIVnet GmbH is owner-managed and has been in existence since 1996. Our company headquarters are located in the software center Sindelfingen / Böblingen.”
- USP (own statement): “Specialist for multilingual web projects.”
- Certifications: Contentstack, FirstSpirit Advanced Partner & Technology Partner, Sitecore Silver Partner, Adobe Experience Manager Bronze Partner, Celum Business Partner.
Kittelberger media solutions
- USP (own statement): “Know how in product and media data; own PIM/MAM product; wide range (hosting, web, print, PIM, MAM).”
- Certifications: First Spirit – certified Partner, ISO27001, ISO9001
- Memberships: VDM
- USP (own statement): “Digital solutions on demand. Our solutions help our customers improve sales and marketing processes for an optimal customer experience, making your business ready for the challenges of the digital age.”
- Certifications: Magnolia CMS, Adobe Partner, Magnolia Gold Partner, Google Partner.
- Memberships: Digital Excellence Group, Startup Region Ulm, Advisory Board of the Digitalization Center Ulm Alb-Donau/ Biberach.
- USP (own statement): “Macaw offers a digital service spectrum along the entire customer journey from a single source. We combine creativity, data and technology to help our clients succeed in a digital world.”
- Certifications: Sitecore Platinum Partner, Sitecore Experience Commerce Specialized Partner, Microsoft Gold Partner, Great place to work, Google.
- Memberships: ECC Club
- USP (own statement): “We cover the entire supply chain from creation to automation, implementation and filling of partially automated marketing processes to ad hoc advertising material creation.”
- Certifications: socoto Premium Partner, Ibexa, bytesatwork Platinum.
Materna Information & Communications
- USP (own statement): “Materna full service: user experience, design, technology, content services and operations from a single source for high-quality digital brand experiences and modern Internet presences in all industries”
- Certifications: CoreMedia, Platinum Partner and Certified Partner, eSpirit, Advanced Partner, ISO 27001.
- Memberships: Bitkom, D21, AFCEA, DWT, GAIA-X.
module23 advertising agency Koblenz
- USP (own statement): “As an agency, we attach great importance to comprehensive, personal consulting and look back on more than 10 years and 500 projects from all areas of business.”
- Certifications: Conao Partner, Google, Alliance for Cybersecurity.
- USP (own statement): “Digital projects for all requirements. Today and tomorrow. As a full-service provider, we link strategy, design and technology. That’s how we develop solutions to the point – for your long-term success.”
- Certifications: CoreMedia Gold Partner. CoreMedia Certified Partner, Firstspirit Trusted Partner, FirstSpirit Advanced Partner.
- Memberships: SAH – Softwareallianz Hamburg
Namics - A Merkle Company
- USP (own statement): “We create winners in the digital transformation. As a full-service digital agency, we are a reliable partner for our clients* in the areas of strategy, consulting, conception, design and technology – and help them to seize the opportunities of the digital market.”
- Certifications: Adobe, Platinum Partner, Sitecore, Platinum Implementation Partner, Salesforce, Silver Partner, Magnolia, Platinum Partner, Drupal, BVDW Trusted Agency, swissmade software.
- Memberships: BVDW, GfM, LSA, ECC Club
- USP (own statement): “As a digital agency, we are characterized by a very high level of technical know-how, with which we implement commerce, content, mobile and AI projects. In addition, we have been incorporating our research into machine learning applications since the development of the first German search engine in 1998.”
- Certifications: Magnolia, AEM, Ibexa, e-spirit, Authorized go-digital consulting company, TÜV Rheinland, Google Developer Agency.
- Memberships: Member of KI Bundesverband, media net
- USP (own statement): “We are passionate about digital! As a full-service digital agency, we offer all services for persistently successful digital experience & e-commerce solutions. netzkern is one of the largest and most experienced Sitecore Platinum Implementation Partners and Kentico Xperience Gold Partner in DACH.”
- Certifications: Sitecore Platinum Implementation Partner, Kentico Xperience Gold Partner, Episerver Partner, Kentico Kontent Qualified Partner, Microsoft Gold Partner Application Development, Microsoft Gold Partner Cloud Solution Provider, Cognigy AI Partner, Google Partner.
- Memberships: German UPA
- USP (own statement): “We are specialists in developing individual solutions based on leading systems for portals, web content management and eCommerce. In addition, we offer the full range of services of team neusta in technology, design and consulting. What sets us apart from others is our open and collaborative way of working – both with customers and within our team.”
- Certifications: FirstSpirit – Advanced Partner, Magnolia – Gold Partner, Liferay – Silver Service Partner.
- USP (own statement): “open4business is a digital full service provider. From architecture to user experience, integration and operations, we look at all sub-components and combine legacy elements with innovative new solutions. For 20 years we have been executing projects in custom software development, portal environment, identity management, CMS, DAM and PIM.”
- Certifications: FirstSpirit | Certified Partner, EZ | Silver Partner, Coremedia | Silver Partner, ITIL, AWS.
- Memberships: e-Spirit Usergroup e.V., Celum Usergroup.
Pinuts digital thinking
- USP (own statement): “We advise our customers as partners. Together, we take the right individual path towards digitalization. We create user experiences – that inspire, designs – that connect & messages – that inspire. We design web applications of great quality, we unite complex system landscapes and develop future-oriented. We are The Customer Experience Company.”
- Certifications: e-Spirit (FirstSpirit) – Trusted and Technology Partner, OpenText (WSM) – Service Silver Partner, Infopark (Scrivito & Fiona) – Development & Technology Partner.
- Memberships: e-Spirit Usergroup, Open Text Web Solutions Usergroup
- USP (own statement): “The cooperation with our customers is characterized by transparency and dynamics. PRODYNA is a pioneer in the field of Experience Driven Development (XDD), where technological and UX considerations are taken into account from the beginning. This leads to maximum implementation efficiency with the highest user-friendliness. PRODYNA is a leader in the cloud sector in DACH and a member of the CNCF.”
- Certifications: Magnolia CMS (Gold Partner), Liferay (Platinum Partner), Google, Microsoft (Gold), AWS, Tableau, Magnolia (Gold), Liferay (Platinum), Neo4J, Kuberenetes, Redhat, Avaloq, MongoDB, Mulesoft.
- Memberships: CNCF (Cloud Native Computing Foundation)
- USP (own statement): “At rocket-media, certified professionals for usability and user experience work and develop digital applications based on human-centered methods. Users and their requirements are integrated into the complete development process. In combination with technical excellence, this ensures investment security in large digital projects.”
- Certifications: Ibexa / eZ Platform (certified developer, “Gold Partner”), TYPO3 (certified developer, Association Gold Member), UXQB, Shopware, Google.
- Memberships: UXQB, TYPO3 Association, ASQF, German UPA
TWT Digital Group
- USP (own statement): “We love what we do – creating digital success. For us, this is more than just a claim. We support our customers and partners in their digital transformation, creating experiences and solutions that inspire people and create value. The portfolio includes holistic digital strategy, creative conception, innovative development and the technical implementation of sophisticated digital projects.”
- Certifications: TYPO3 (Certified Integrator), Sitecore (Gold Partner), First Spirit (Advanced Partner & Quality Approved Partner), Google, SiteCore, ITIL, Scrum, IPMA/GPM, MS Gold DevOps, MS Gold Application Development, MS Silver Cloud Platform, MS Silver Datacenter, ISO 27001:2013.
- Memberships: BVDW, Ecovadis, ECC Club, thenetworkone.
UDG United Digital Group
- USP (own statement): “UDG United Digital Group is one of the leading agencies for topics related to digital transformation. We combine the disciplines of Consulting, Insights & Strategy, Brand, Creativity& UX, Media, Technology & Platforms as well as CRM, Data & Analytics and use this holistic expertise to develop a completely integrated, digital and data-based customer experience for our clients.”
- Certifications: Sitecore, FirstSpirit, TYPO3, CoreMedia, SAP Hybris / SAP Commerce Cloud, various other certifications of our technology partners (Microsoft, Shopware, SAP), TISAX certification started.
- USP (own statement): “Valtech is a global digital agency focused on business transformation. We enable our clients to anticipate tomorrow’s trends and engage more directly with their users through digital and physical touchpoints, while optimizing time-to-market and ROI.”
- Certifications: Episerver: Gold Partner, Adobe: Platinum Partner, Sitecore: Platinum Partner, Contentstack: Solution Partner, Contentful: Solution Partner.
- Memberships: BVDW, EcoVadis